Minghao is a Senior Associate of the firm. Since his admission to the Singapore Bar in 2014, Minghao’s main areas of practice are in construction, infrastructure and engineering, and general civil and commercial disputes. He regularly represents clients in the construction industry at different stages of the project cycle, ranging from front-end consultation and advisory work, to back-end work when disputes have arisen.
Minghao has considerable experience in adjudications under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act, in which he appeared as lead counsel. He has also regularly represented clients in the Singapore courts both as lead and assisting counsel in a broad range of subject matters, including applications for injunction to restrain calls on performance bonds, setting aside of arbitral awards, restructuring of companies in distress, breach of contract, stay of proceedings due to forum non conveniens, disputes over an MCST’s by-laws, fraudulent misrepresentation, disputes relating to international trade, breach of directors’ duties and shareholders’ disputes. Besides appearing in the Singapore courts, Minghao has experience in SIAC and LCIA arbitrations.
Minghao regularly volunteers with the Law Society’s Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS), where he undertakes criminal defence cases. He has also been a regular volunteer in community legal clinics.
Minghao is a member of the Society of Construction Law (Singapore).
Notable matters which Minghao was involved in include:
• Ng Tze Chew Diana v Aikco Construction Pte Ltd and another matter  SGHC 258;  SGHC 259: Assisted in an application to set aside an arbitral award made in relation to a dispute over defective works and delays in the construction of a dwelling house, and for leave to appeal on a question of law arising out of the same award.
• Advised a main contractor of a project involving the construction of a runway at Changi Airport, in respect of claims of over S$150m submitted by the sub-contractor for variation works and loss & expenses.
• Represented a client in successfully arguing for court proceedings in Singapore to be stayed on grounds of forum non conveniens, in favour of proceedings in Papua New Guinea.
• Ryobi Tactics Pte Ltd v UES Holdings Pte Ltd and another and another matter  SGHC 11: Assisted a main contractor in resisting an application by a sub-contractor to injunct a call on 4 performance bonds.
• Management Corporation Strata Title Plan No. 3405 v Smile Inc Dental Surgeons Pte Ltd  SGDC 288: Assisted in successfully defending an application for a mandatory injunction on the basis of alleged breach of by-laws of a management corporation.
• CMC Ravenna Singapore Branch v CGW Construction & Engineering (S) Pte Ltd  SGHC 263: Assisted in successfully defending an application to set aside an adjudication determination in respect of a construction project for an MRT station.
• AUI Pte Ltd v AUJ Pte Ltd  SCAdjR 137: Assisted a sub-contractor in an adjudication application to successfully claim for payment for work done under a contract for the supply and construction of pre-cast concrete components.
• AUK Pte Ltd v AUL Pte Ltd  SCAdjR 166: Assisted a sub-contractor in an adjudication application to successfully claim for payment for work done under a contract for the supply and construction of pre-cast concrete components.
• Eng Seng Precast Pte Ltd v SLF Construction Pte Ltd  SGHC 252: Assisted in resisting an application to set aside an adjudication determination under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act (Cap 30B).
The High Court gave guidance on whether the supply of prefabricated materials falls within the definition of “construction contract” or “supply contract”.
• Advised on an asset sale involving a Waste-to-Energy plant as part of the restructuring of the company in question.
• Advised a Singapore Statutory Board in relation to the drafting of a facilities management agreement for the Board’s various properties in Singapore.
• Advised a sub-contractor for a condominium project in respect of the drafting of the relevant sub-contract documents for supply and construction of pre-cast concrete components.
• Assisted in applying successfully for a stay of enforcement of an adjudication determination on the basis that it was tainted by fraud.
• Advised the ACMV sub-contractor in the construction of the Changi Airport Terminal 4 building in respect of the merits of the ACMV sub-contractor’s claims of more than S$17m against the main contractor.
• Assisted in resisting an application for stay of adjudication proceedings in favour of arbitration in respect of a DBOO Contract for a NEWater Plant.
• Assisted in a successful claim against a director of a BVI company for fraudulent misrepresentation involving an agreement for the sale of shares, where the court allowed the corporate veil to be lifted and found the director in question to be personally liable.
• Lim Koon Park v Yap Jin Meng Bryan and others  SGHC 284: Assisted in an account of profits hearing where the Court had to determine the quantum of interest due to a junior lender for an unsecured loan of S$22.5m where there is an existing senior secured lender.
• Gajentheran Marimuthu (by his mother and next friend Parai A/P Palaniappan) v Joo Yong Co (Pte) Ltd and another (Mohd Paqmi bin Arifin and another, third parties)  SGHC 11: Assisted in the successful defence of two motorcyclists who were third parties in a motor accident claim. The defendants’ appeal against the decision was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.
• Tan Chin Hoon and others v Tan Choo Suan and others and other matters  SGHC 306: Assisted in a successful claim for beneficial ownership of shares where complex legal and factual issues concerning the law of resulting and constructive trust, proprietary estoppel and gifts of property were raised.
• Columbia Asia Healthcare Sdn Bhd and another v Hong Hin Kit Edward and another and other suits  SGHC 65: Assisted in a successful claim against an Indonesian hospital for the repayment of a loan and breach of contracts for sale of goods.